- Great hall, drawing room, dining room, library
- 6 main bedrooms, 6 bath/shower rooms
- Second floor offices/suite
- 3 bedroom cottage
- Coach house, garaging and flat
- Tennis court, swimming pool and modern pool house
- Mature gardens and grounds
- Fishing rights
- In all about 12 acres
- Grade II* Listed
Property SummaryPontrilas Court has been the site of an important manor house for much of the last millennium though the present house dates back to the mid-17th century with later additions during the 18th and 19th centuries. Over the past fifteen years the house has been extensively refurbished and modernised so the great reception rooms, with their original grandeur, are matched by a glorious kitchen, splendid bathrooms, state of the art sound, vision and wi-fi systems. This handsome, Grade II* Listed house is built largely of sandstone beneath a tiled roof with some fine examples of Jacobean chimneys dripstones and a number of stone mullioned windows. Internally there are magnificent reception rooms dominated by an immense great hall with carved and moulded ceilings, painted panelling and a large stone fireplace with carved mantle and surrounds. The drawing room has continuation of the ceiling, an impressive fireplace and large bay window overlooking the gardens, whilst the dining room has further panelling and a stone fireplace. A wonderful staircase leads up to a wide landing with doors off to the main bedrooms, whilst the stunning conversion of the second floor attics have multiple uses. The adjoining three-bedroom cottage is ideal for a housekeeper, whilst the cellars have flagstone floors, wine racks and the oil-fired boiler.
Pontrilas was for many generations the seat of the branch of the great Herefordshire family, Baskerville of Eardisley. The Court is stated as having been built between 1630 and 1640 for Walter Baskerville, though the first Baskerville known to have lived at Pontrilas was Thomas Baskerville who died in 1551. When King James I visited Hereford, a Baskerville rode to meet him escorted by 23 sons of his ‘own getting’, well-mounted and well-armed. Despite their remarkable early fertility, the male line of the Baskervilles from Pontrilas seemed to have died out by the end of the 17th century. Pontrilas then came into the possession of Sir Philip Jackson, a merchant who died about 1734, and in the latter part of the century Pontrilas passed to Henry Shiffner, and in 1840 to Colonel John Scudamore from Kentchurch Court whose family sold the house a century later. For many years George Bentham, the Botanist (1800-1844), a vital force in the creation of Kew Gardens, lived at Pontrilas and it was thought that he was responsible for planting many of the specimen trees on the property and the surrounding area. The current owners have continued the improvements commenced by their predecessors.
To the west of the house beyond the main drive is a secondary entrance to the courtyard and the Coach House with substantial garaging and Groom’s flat above.
Approached from the terrace is the spacious party/games room with a bar and cloakroom. In the side courtyard is the original dovecote.
Gardens and Grounds
The mature gardens are laid out to flow from the house over wide flagstone terracing to lawns dotted with ancient trees, yew hedges and gravelled paths to the rolling farmland beyond. To the south is an arboretum with a host of mature trees and shrubs and an immense number of daffodils, crocuses and wild flowers that create a riot of colour in the spring. The kitchen and herb gardens are well stocked with formal box hedging and vegetable beds and with a substantial greenhouse. The swimming pool, hot tub and tennis court lie beyond and are served by an exceptional, modern pool house ideal for entertaining. On the southern flank beyond the paddock is the River Dore with wooded banks to either side, over which the property has 1,000 yards of fishing rights. On the far bank is an extensive area of woodland, whilst a further paddock, reached over stepping stones, lies to the west of the river.
Pontrilas Court is situated on the border of England and Wales amidst some of Great Britain’s finest countryside. Hereford has all the expected shops and services of an important country town, whilst the market towns of Abergavenny and Monmouth are equally popular. Of particular note are the Haberdashers’ Schools in Monmouth for boys and girls and the Cathedral School in Hereford. Closer by are more general facilities in Pontrilas itself and nearby Ewyas Harold and Grosmont. Communications are excellent with the A40 providing fast access to Raglan and from there to the M50, M4 and the commercial centres of South Wales, Bristol and Birmingham. Abergavenny has a rail station with a direct link to Newport and the intercity rail network. This area of the Marches is known for some of the most beautiful scenery in the country. Recreational opportunities abound and include golf courses at Abergavenny, The Hendre (Rolls of Monmouth), and Belmont (Hereford); the rivers Wye and Monnow flow nearby; the Black Mountains are a short drive and there are glorious walks and rides through the surrounding countryside.
Mains electricity and water (additional private supply). Private drainage. Oil-fired central heating. LPG for two fires. Comprehensive security systems.
Fixtures & Fittings
Unless specifically described in these particulars, all fixtures and fittings are excluded from the sale though may be available by separate negotiation.
Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008
All measurements are approximate and quoted in imperial with metric equivalents and are for general guidance only. Whilst every effort has been made to ensure to accuracy, these sales particulars must not be relied upon. Please note Parrys have not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures and fittings or services and, therefore, no guarantee can be given that they are in working order. Internal photographs are reproduced for general information and it must not be inferred that any item shown is included with the property. Contact the numbers listed on the brochure.